Latest Updates on Terrorist Attack on Dusit Hotel, Nairobi

News, Trending

Tuesday 15th January 2019 will go down in Kenya’s history books as one of the nation’s dark days.

Witnesses report that the attack started with heavy gunfire at around 3pm, before an explosion rocked Dusit Hotel, located in 14 Riverside drive, Westlands Nairobi.

Police have since cordoned off the area as they try to rescue those trapped inside while at the same time combating the terrorists, whose number remains unknown.

The military later on joined to help police get a hold of the situation.

Bomb Disposal Unit was able to detonate explosives the terrorists planted in a vehicle outside the hotel.

Unconfirmed reports intimate that one of the suspects has been nabbed by the police.

In a press statement, IG Joseph Boinnet confirmed the incident and urged the public to remain calm and cooperate with security forces by providing any information that may be useful.

At the same time, Kenyans have been cautioned to desist from sharing clips that may jeopardise rescue operations.

Somali-based terrorist group has since claimed responsibility of the attack. The group’s spokesperson told Al Jazeera, “we’re currently conducting an operation in Nairobi.”

The attack comes a day after Ahmed Mohamed, a suspect in the 2013 Westgate attack, was set free for lack of sufficient evidence.

Coincidentally, the attack has happened on the same day a KDF army base in El Adde, Somalia was attacked and overrun by Al Shaabab militants in 2016.

Updates:

  • Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet has, in an 8pm press conference, said that security forces have secured 6 of 7 floors of Dusit Hotel.
  • Operation is still on-going to secure the remaining floor and adjacent buildings in the complex.
  • Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr. Fred Matiang’i has said in a televised address that security forces have secured all buildings in 14 Riverside drive complex.
  • Police are now conducting a mop up operation to collect vital evidence to help unravel how the attack was planned and executed.
  • CCTV footage shows a total of 4 heavily assailants entering the premise
  • Another CCTV footage shows the moment one of the terrorists blew himself up, killing several patrons in the nearby restaurant.

CAUTION: Viewer discretion is advised.

  • So far 15 casualties have been confirmed. 2 of the attackers have been neutralised.

GRAPHIC IMAGES: Viewer discretion is advised.

  • 6 more bodies have been recovered from the besieged hotel, bringing total number of casualties to 21.
  • The dead are 16 Kenyans, 1 Briton, 1 American and 3 from different African nations.
  • A police officer injured in the attack has unfortunately succumbed to injuries.
  • 5 terrorists have been confirmed dead.

Red Cross has provided 0715820219 as the hotline for those looking for friends and/or relatives.

Anyone with information that may be helpful to security forces should get in touch with Musa Yego of Flying Squad on 0722839978 and Philip Ndolo on
0721141282.

PropellerAds

Leave a Reply