VLC media player is one of the most popular for a reason, it has a multitude of tools that eliminate the need to use additional or complex software to manipulate media files.
One such utility is adding audio files to video.
Sometimes you may have video and audio as separate files but you want to play them together.
It could also be that you want to add an unrelated soundtrack to a video file. Whichever the case, VLC got you covered.
Here’s how to go about it.
- Launch VLC and click the Media tab
- Select the Open Multiple Files from the dropdown menu
- Click Add and browse to the video file you want to add a sound file to
- Move to the bottom of the window and check the show more options box
- Check the play another media synchronously box and insert audio file address in the Extra media box or browse to audio file using the Browse button
- Click Add and then move to the bottom of the window and click Select to insert the file
- Click Play to watch the video.
If you want to save the video (now combined with audio)
- Click on the arrow next to the Play button to reveal more options
- Select Convert and choose the file format of the video. You may leave it as is if you don’t want to manipulate it further
- Select Browse and choose the file location where you want the video saved
- Write the file name, be sure to include the corresponding extension, for instance .mp4 or .avi, and click Save and then Start
Conversion time can be minutes or hours, depending on length and size of the video.