The Director of Public Prosecutions, Noordin Haji, has approved the prosecution of former Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario.
This is in connection with misappropriation of Kshs 544 million the government had set aside to facilitate team Kenya’s participation at the Rio Olympics of 2016.
There was an outcry from the sports fraternity and general public after emerged that Kenyan athletes were poorly accommodated and insufficiently kitted.
In a press statement, the Office of the DPP stated that it carried out investigations into the Rio fiasco and found sufficient evidence to charge various officials.
Those mentioned include:
- Then Sports CS Hassan Wario
Richard Titus Ekai, PS Sports, Culture and Arts.
- Harun Komen, former Director of Administration in the Ministry of Sports, Culture and Arts.
- Stephen Soi, Chief de Mission and Deputy Treasurer of National Olympics Council of Kenya (NOCK).
- Patrick Kimathi, former Finance Officer Ministry of Sports, Culture and Arts.
- Hezekiah Kipchoge Keino, former President NOCK.
- Francis Kanyii Paul, former Secretary general, NOCK.
According to the statement, the abovementioned will be charged with six counts of abuse of office and wilful failure to comply with laws on management of public Funds.
The accused are said to have misappropriated funds to the tune of over Ksh. 55 million.